Calculate the estimated data size for your digitized video and film content and video codecs.
All fields in Gray (Underlined) can be edited. Please double-click on the fields to edit.
Please note, the calculation are estimations. Actual data will vary on actual content and compression efficiencies.
Details and bitrate guidlines on for MP4/H.264 YouTube are published on the Google/YouTube website.
Considerations on File Formats and Compression
When choosing the digital master format, the best format should be selected by taking into several factors and purposes.
Generally, we deliver a collection with different sets of files and transcodes. Many organisations require two or three derivatives (Preservation, Production/Mezzanine, Proxy):
PRESERVATION PURPOSE & FILES
- Original: The original recording format may be compressed (especially more modern tape formats like DVCam, DVCPro, IMX or HDCam). An uncompressed format may make no sense.
- Open Standards: For long term preservation, open standards may be critical. Uncompressed may be the option to get out of a compression boundary. Open, lossless compression formats like JPEG2000 or FFV1 are options.
- Color Space and Bit Depth: Especially for film, bit depth is a factor to be considers based on the original as well as future use.
- Compression: Lossless compression formats like JPEG2000 or FFV1 are often considered as options.
PRODUCTION PURPOSE & FILES
- Production Environment: Most important is the support of the format in your production chain from MAM to NLE.
- Source Material: The source format may influence the decision. Depending on the nature of type of legacy recordings, it often may be oversized and unnecessary to move to advanced formats.
- Intended Output: On the other side, the other factor to consider is the intended output and use case. It may be better to upconvert and conform to your latest requirements in your environment.
- Content Type: If you have content with fast movements and camera changes like sports, we recommend higher bandwidth for proxies. If it is more studio recordings content with slower content movements, lower bandwidth may be sufficient enough.
- Purpose: The purpose of the proxies will also have an impact on the best configuration for proxies. Purposes range from previews, Youtube & social media and online uploads to processing for AI and similar analytics.
- Compression/Bandwidth: Compression level/bandwidth settings (Variable/Constant Bit-Rates) requires an assessment of quality requirements over data efficiency requirements like networks. CBR generally offers better control over quality, while VBR offers a better adaptation of data efficiency.